follow Nicole's Nickels on Twitter
follow Nicole's Nickels on Twitter
follow Nicole's Nickels on Pinterest
follow Nicole's Nickels on Twitter
follow Nicole's Nickels on Twitter

A Closer Look – mystery shopping

by Nicole on February 20, 2009

Mystery shopping is getting paid to shop! You act as an independent contractor and secretly evaluate a company, reporting back to the mystery shopping company whose client is the company you reviewed. Mystery shopping companies should always be free to sign up for and be a member of. They pay you! Some companies pay a reimbursement for your costs (i.e. dinner, product, service) and others pay a fee and some combine the two. You can find many mystery shopping companies here who are registered with the Mystery Shopping Providers Association.

I am going to highlight the companies I am registered with in the coming weeks but you can email me if you want more information. Each company is different and has a different shop assignment system but the basic premise is you sign up to complete the “shop” you want, do what the guidelines tell you then scan your receipt and enter your report online. Some companies oay very quickly through paypal and others take longer.

My favorite mystery shopping company is A Closer Look so I will highlight it first. I have done many shops with A Closer Look. Most of the shops I have done were fine dining ($150 reimbursement) or casual dining, among others. A Closer Look just finished posting March’s assignments so now is a great time to sign up!

Search & Win

1 Jennifer February 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm

"Ring Around The Blogs"

So glad you joined us Nicole!! I soooo LOVE Mystery Shops! I've gotten Free coffee & donuts and a Free Sandwich last month plus $10 Paypal!! Not too shabby!

PS. I'll also be discussing a few mystery shops as well to look out for soon:)

2 Christina February 21, 2009 at 6:26 am

I also do mystery shops! A great way to get a little extra money and do thinks for free. Recently we got to go bowling for free AND got paid on top of that. I was planning on posting a blog post next week on mystery shopping. :)

3 Anonymous April 22, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Do you have to pay to sign up with A Closer Look? It talks about having to get their certification…Thanks! Jen

4 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels April 22, 2009 at 4:21 pm

No, there is NO fee to sign up. There is a certification through the Mystery Shopping Providers Association that costs money but it is COMPLETELY optional. Some sites have their own “test” that they give to shoppers to test grammar, reading instructions, etc. but there is NO fee for this. I do not have the certification and have NEVER paid to sign up with a mystery shopping company.

5 Chocolate Dreams June 19, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Nicole – I am silver certified and found out you can become gold certified for I think $99 online, which is much better than having to go to another city nearby to get cert. Do you have any suggestions on what kind of scenarios to come up with. I did this for 6 months, got very organized with it and would like to do it again, but felt self conscious with my scenarios, especially when I would be asked to go buy shoes and return them 15 min later. I feel real weird about doing that. What are your thoughts?

6 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels June 20, 2009 at 4:58 am

I'm not sure what you mean by scenarios? Most of the companies I shop with provide a question to ask the associate if that's part of your report. I don't do reveal shops or return shops, they just aren't my thing!

7 Trisha July 29, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Is this link still working right? It takes me to another person's blog where I see nothing about mystery shopping.

8 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels July 30, 2009 at 3:14 am

Hi Trisha: I have no idea what happened to the link but I fixed it!

9 Trisha July 30, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Thanks! I'm getting ready to sign up for this one – then I'll have signed up for every page you have suggested :) Wish me luck! Thank you for sharing!