$100 in giftcards for $4 out of pocket!

by Nicole on March 30, 2009

Thanks to Collin at Hip2Save for bringing this great deal to my attention! I signed up on March 14 and received my giftcards on March 27 and 28 – so 2 weeks from start to finish. I have a friend who did the same deals and got hers within a week!

Here’s the deal:

Sign up for the following trial offers:
1. Complete Home – $20 Lowe’s giftcard for $1 trial
2. Buyer’s Advantage – $10 Target giftcard for $1 trial
3. Privacy Guard – $30 Staples giftcard for FREE trial
4. Clever Clubhouse – $20 Blockbuster giftcard for $1 trial
5. Great Fun -$20 Exxon Mobil giftcard (I know it says $10 on the offer but $20 came!) for $1 trial

You can use a prepaid Visa or Mastercard or a virtual credit card number if you are worried about using your real credit card number. Check with your card company as many now offer virtual credit card numbers. I signed up on a Saturday for all 5. I received confirmation emails right away. On Monday I received welcome emails from all 5 companies. On Tuesday, I received an email titled “Here’s how to get the item you requested”. You submit the information (including your membership number so make sure you have that written down) via online form, and for me, my giftcards arrived 11 days later.

The trials are 30 days long and from what I have read on the Internet about these deals, they will offer you more incentives to stay a member and/or extend the trial. Regardless, if you do cancel make sure to get a confirmation number and confirmation email that you have cancelled.

Just a heads up – I’ve been told that these offers come up occasionally when doing a larger online offer (see my Wii/Wii Fit post here) so if you’re thinking about doing more of those type of offers you may want to hold off on doing these.

1 Melissa March 30, 2009 at 8:52 am

This is awesome. I’m going to have to try it out!

2 Jennifer March 30, 2009 at 10:28 am

I also did these 5 offers when I found them on Hip2Save's website. I now have all of my gift cards! This REALLY got my extended family interested in what I'm up to frugal-wise.

I've also completed all the offers for the Wii & Wii Fit. I saw this deal on your site. I'll have to let you know when it arrives! :)

3 Corrie at "Cents"able Momma March 30, 2009 at 7:40 pm

That’s great…one of these days I’ll have to actually try one of these offers!

4 Stefani @ March 30, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Very cool! I need to start doing those offers again.

Stefani @ Mommy Enterprises

5 HelloKit March 31, 2009 at 11:26 am

The problem I have with these trial offers is that these companies are perfectly happy to start taking my money with just a few clicks of the mouse, but in order to have them stop taking my money, I have to waste my time on the phone with them, being harrassed and fed every line in the book to try to get me to stay. No, it should be just as easy and painless for me to revoke permission to charge my credit card as it was to give it in the first place.

6 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels March 31, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Hi HelloKit: I see it differently. I am getting giftcards from these companies. They know I received them and likely just signed up for them. So they try to get you to stay – I can’t blame them for that. I cancelled 2 of mine yesterday and didn’t get hassled. The people on the phone read a script to get you to stay. I just firmly and politely repeated that I wanted to cancel. They gave me a cancellation number each time, without incident.

7 Jackie April 1, 2009 at 1:41 am

WHen do i cancel my membership? I am signing up tonight. Should I get the gift card then cancel or wait til like 3 weeks from now??

8 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels April 1, 2009 at 4:37 am

Wait until you get the gift cards for this before you cancel. If they haven’t sent them out yet and you cancel you won’t get them since it’s the same company sending the gift cards out here! If you signed up tonight you should have them in 2-3 weeks and the trials are 30 day trials.

9 Amy April 3, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Nicole – I just signed up for all five and am wondering if you get one “Here’s how to get the item you requested” email from each of the websites, separately? I just want to be on the lookout for what i need to fill out to get the gift cards. Also, have you heard of anyone that had any problems thus far? Thanks!

10 Amy April 3, 2009 at 11:03 pm

One other thing, I signed up for all 5 and got charged $1 five separate times even though the one said it was free the first month. Should I worry about it or just let the $1 go? Did anyone else have this?

Thanks again!

11 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels April 4, 2009 at 4:59 am

Hi Amy! Yes, you get one “here’s how to get the item you requested” email from each of them. For me, they arrived a few days after I signed up. I haven’t heard of anyone who had any problems. I’m not sure why you got charged for the Privacy Guard – did you sign up through the link I posted in the post that definitely says free trial (even says that you won’t be charged the first month in the terms and conditions). If you typed in the yourself the charge is $1, the link I put was for a special promotion. If you accessed it through my link where it specifically says the 30 day trial is FREE then I would call them to let them know it was supposed to be free. Please let me know.

12 Amy April 4, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Hi Nicole, Yes I linked directly from your site and the site said free for the first month. I emailed the company right away and they said it was $1 for the first month and then I copied and pasted the information directly from the site and sent it back to their customer service and they wrote back and said that they couldn’t access the charges at that point, but to call the customer service line on Monday morning and they would be able to talk with me about it. I will call Monday to see…

One other quick question, does the email they send give you the 1-800 cancelation number?

13 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels April 4, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Hi Amy: Let me know what happens on Monday. The second email you will get (after the confirmation email) titled “Important Information about your Membership Privileges” has the number in it. You can also access the original offer again and the number is in the terms and conditions. I always copy and paste the terms and conditions into a word processing document right when I sign up for an offer. Let me know if you have other questions.

14 Amy April 6, 2009 at 9:24 am

Okay, so I checked with Privacy Guard and they say it wasn’t them charging me the extra $1, so I guess it was another one of the memberships. I kind of think I will wait until i get my gift cards to make a stink about it with any of the other offers b/c I don’t want them to accidently cancel my membership when they are trying to figure out why the charged me twice. I know one of them had to of charged me 2 times though b/c I have 5 charges to my card instead of 4. The annoying thing is that each charged says the same thing instead of having a detail of which offer it was for…I guess this is b/c they are all the same company. I wish I could figure it out. I never got a welcome email from Clever Clubhouse either, but can sign on when I go to the site so I guess it is fine…

15 Jackie April 11, 2009 at 11:54 am

Amy, Check your spam for Clever Clubhouse, thats where mine was!

16 Amy April 11, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Okay, I filled out all my online forms on Tuesday and got all but one gift card today in the mail! How fast was that? I am only missing the Blockbuster card now!!! Awesome! Now, about canceling, do you do it all at once Nicole or do you try to spread them out over different days? Thanks agian for this awesome tip!

17 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels April 11, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Hi Amy! Yay! I’m happy you got the gift cards. I got all but one the first day and the last one the day after. I don’t think there is an issue if you cancel on 1 day. It took me about 5 minutes per company, just be firm and repeat “I just want to cancel”, make sure to get a confirmation number.

18 Abby April 13, 2009 at 8:31 am

Hello- I signed up for all of these offers on 4/8, and received “welcome” emails from all of them just moments later… but I still haven’t received any other emails since! Does it usually take this long to receive the forms to fill out in order to get the giftcards? I’m beginning to feel a bit nervous!
Thanks for the great blog! It’s one of my favs! :]

19 Amy April 13, 2009 at 10:20 am

Did anyone else use prepaid credit cards (like a Wachovia Visa or similar) and if so did anyone have any problems? Thanks!

20 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels April 13, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Hi Abby: It does take a few days and I don’t think the emails come on the weekend. Give it a few more days and then email me at if you still don’t get the emails entitled “Here’s how to get the item you requested”. Make sure to check your spam folder as well!

21 Business Mommy April 17, 2009 at 8:40 am

I’m not familiar with these particular programs, but before you go to cancel, look at the terms and the benefits. It may actually be worthwhile to keep the membership. I have two that I’m keeping that I found through Brylane Homes. Reservation Rewards, and Shopper Discounts and Rewards. $12 a month, and they give me a $10 rebate each month on Brylane Homes. (same company, so you can’t send the same receipt to both.) So every month I get to shop at Brylane Homes for free. And they have other benefits too that makes the extra $2 worth it.

Just something to consider.

22 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels April 17, 2009 at 3:50 pm

You are absolutely right, Business Mommy! Many of these programs have great benefits and could be worth staying a member if they give the kind of benefits you want. Make sure to give the services a fair shot!