Shopper’s Critique

by Nicole on March 11, 2009

Shopper’s Critique was the first mystery shopping company I signed up with and they are still my favorite. They have a wide offering of shops (from pet supply stores to fine dining to shoe shops) and you can find almost anything here. They post their shops throughout the month and send a weekly email update, but for the best shops you’ll have to check back often. Their reports are very straightforward and not difficult to complete, though as with all mystery shopping, you need to be very detail-oriented and follow the shop directions carefully! It is, of course, FREE to sign up with Shopper’s Critique so do it today and see what kind of shops are in your area. Happy shopping!

1 Stefani @ MommyEnterprises.com March 12, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I just signed up! Thanks for the recommendation…

Stefani @ Mommy Enterprises

2 Anonymous March 14, 2009 at 4:19 am

Nicole, on the website they have a disclaimer that also includes your responsibility as a tax payer. Do you pay taxes on your mystery shopping? How do you feel about the SSN being submitted. thank you!

3 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels March 14, 2009 at 4:23 am

Yes, you do pay taxes on your earnings as a mystery shopper. I reported my income on a Schedule C as business income and was able to claim the reimbursements and some other costs as business expenses. The reason they ask for your social security number is that if you earn over $600 per year with them then they need to report the income to the IRS in the form of a 1099 which requires your social security number. Some companies let you provide your number as you get closer to the $600 threshhold, others make you give it upon application. I give mine when they ask for it, I understand why they are asking for it and I make sure I have done my research before signing up for any mystery shopping company to make sure they are legit and reputable. As far as the companies I have posted about on here, I have personally done shops for each of them and been paid by each of them and had no issues. Does that help? Let me know if you have other questions….

4 Anonymous March 14, 2009 at 5:34 am

Thank you Nicole for explaining it to me! Love your blog!

5 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels March 14, 2009 at 6:23 am

Thank you! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

6 Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Hi…I love your blog! I wanted to register at Shoppers” Critique, but after 4 or 5 pages of questions, I came to a choice of payment options??? I thought it was free to register? Am I missing something?

7 Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Opps! Duh, me!!!
Please disregard my last post…
I went back to the registration site at Shoppers” Critique and
see it was my mistake…they DO NOT charge to register.

8 Anonymous March 27, 2009 at 12:08 am

Hi Nicole,

I love your blog it is so cute and very informative! I signed up for shoppers critique yesterday. I noticed that it talks about being a contractor and your obligations. Did you get a business license to do this? I am not sure if I need to.

Thanks!
Rachel

9 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels March 27, 2009 at 4:17 am

No, you can do this work as an independent contractor, Rachel!

10 Anonymous April 15, 2009 at 11:56 am

I signed up for to be a mystery shopper but I dont feel comfortable using my ssn with the company. I want to “delete” my registration but I cant seem to find anything relating to cancelling my services.
-S.G.Z.

11 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels April 15, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I’ve never deleted my registration from a mystery shopping company but you can definitely give them a call, I’ve found all the ones I’ve reviewed on here to be very receptive with good customer service.

12 Anonymous May 7, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I just signed up today and already have been set up for a mystery shopping experience…what a great company…and it was soo easy compared to the others….some others give you all sorts of tests which are not difficult but time consuming.

13 Maria E. Lopez July 21, 2009 at 4:18 pm

if pay rate is $0.00 that means you only get reimburse for what you spent??

14 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels July 21, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Yes, Maria, that's correct. It may be easier for you to email me all of your mystery shopping questions at one time.