Kmart Doubles – It’s a Go! I spent 7 cents for 32 items!

by Nicole on September 27, 2009

Update: This was my first trip of this event. You’ll definitely also want to check out my second trip where I spent just 2 cents for 49 items!

Sorry for this being the first post of the day, so late. By now I usually have the CVS and Walgreens deals already up. I’ll get them up in the next hour or so, promise!

I’m late because I went to Kmart this morning and am happy to report that every one of my coupons doubled! So all of the back and forth about it being Proctor & Gamble coupons isn’t right. As I suspected, Kmart’s computers are programmed to double all coupons. I ended up getting 32 items and spending just 7 cents! Yes, you read that right, 7 cents.

Here is the breakdown for what I got:

3 packs of 14 packs of Bic Twin Select razors, each $3.49
Used 3 of the $2.00 coupons from the 9/20 SS
doubled to FREE

1 Kashi Go Lean Cereal, $3.99
Used $2.00 coupon received in the mail for joining Kashi Connect
doubled to FREE

1 Bic Silky Touch 10 pack razors, $3.49
Used $2.00 coupon from 9/20 SS
doubled to FREE

2 packages of Pounce Cat Treats, $1.39 each
Used BOGO coupon from October All You Magazine
doubled to get both items FREE

6 cans of Friskies Selects Indoors, $.82 each
Used 3 BOGO coupons from 9/13 RP
doubled so all 6 are FREE

4 cans of Pedigree + canned dog food, $1.09 each
Used 2 BOGO printable coupons
doubled so all 4 are FREE

6 cans of Purina One Wholesome canned dog food, $1.39 each
Used 3 BOGO coupons from 9/13 RP
doubled so all are FREE

2 packages of Rimmel Extra Super Lash Mascara, $3.29 each
Used 2 of the $2.00 off coupons from 8/23 RP (also one in the September All You Magazine
doubled so both are FREE

2 packages of Cesar Bistro dog meals, $.99 each
Used BOGO coupon from 8/16 or 8/30 RP
doubled so both items are FREE

1 Hormel Compleats meal, $2.00
Used $2.00 off coupon from October All You Magazine
doubled so item is FREE

2 Friskies Natural Sensations cat treats, $1.99 each
Used 2 FREE coupons from today’s SS
Got both items FREE

1 LaCross Pedicure Stone, $3.49
Used $2.00 coupon from September All You Magazine
Doubled so item was FREE

1 pack of Wrigley’s Rain Gum, $1.25
Needed a filler item because the cash register showed that Kmart owed me $1.32 and I knew that wasn’t going to fly!

I added the gum and then my total was $.07. I gladly paid them the $.07. This happened because I used a $5 off when you spend $50 coupon (you can also get the coupon if you sign up for their email updates) before my other coupons were applied and I purchased only FREE items! Thanks to the ladies at the Lake Park, FL Kmart for being so great this morning!

1 Samantha September 27, 2009 at 12:27 pm

GREAT deals!!!
I wish the cashiers at my store would not enforce the 10 coupon limit. But I'm still happy with my transactions for today.

I'm now just finding your blog, and will be following you!

2 Samantha September 27, 2009 at 12:27 pm

GREAT deals!!!

I'm now just finding your blog, and will be following you!

3 Anonymous September 27, 2009 at 2:38 pm

You did awesome!!! I need to learn from you! I am always so close at getting my total to $50 but I usually underestimate or overestimate my total. I like doing free items all together so you know that your total should be extremely cheap after coupons. It's an easy way to know whether the cashier priced the right box or not on their touch screen. Anywho, you did so awesome!

4 Anonymous September 27, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Great job. Is there a limit as to how many coupons or what you have to spend to use the coupons?

5 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 27, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Anonymous: At my store there was no limit since there was no printed ad. There is no minimum to spend (but if you want to use the $5 off coupon you need to get to $50 before coupons) and no limit as to how many coupons you can use. I imagine each store could impose their own limits if they want to but my store didn't have any.

6 Anonymous September 27, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I have a question, does your cashier at k-mart ever ask for your coupons before ringing you up? I had that happen to me today, so then I couldn't use my 5 off 50 coupons. I had two, one from the internet and one that was a catalina. I really wanted to use both, but couldn't. My total was 15.85, but I couldn't get everything I wanted free. So, I gladly paid it, but it would have been nice to use at least one of those coupons! Any tips? Do you just have a favorite cashier or what?

7 Theresa September 27, 2009 at 5:57 pm

You were lucky on no limits. My store that always let us use as many as we wanted had a limit of 10. I was able to use 14 though and the cashier did not bat an eye.

My total was only $46.47 today so I added a $3.53 gift card so I could use my $5 off $50 coupon!

View my trip today:

I have a list of printables to get free items at Kmart here:

8 Janet September 27, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I went today and used a bunch of coupons I had… though somehow my receipt went missing already! I do know that my total was originally around 68 dollars and I only paid 31… and considering most of that 31 was a pair of jeans for my BF, and a few other things for him… I did pretty good!

9 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 27, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Naomi: I have never had a cashier at either Kmart I go to ask any questions about my coupons at all. From what I understand you can only use one Kmart coupon at a time, no matter what kind it is.

Theresa and Janet: You all did great! I pulled some more coupons to head back tomorrow to do some more damage!

10 Anonymous September 27, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Our Kmart was strictly P&G only and they were enforcing the limit of 10. It appeared the registers were set up for it that way. The cashier would scan the coupon and then it would come up on the screen and she would select it to double. I didn't even try to buy anything that wasn't P&G because we had several employees tell us it was only P&G.

11 Elizabeth September 27, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Hi Nicole. Love you site…I use it weekly! My KMart here in Crystal River, Fl has a sign above each check-out stating no buy-one, get-one coupons. I've never tried to use a B1G1 because of this…did you ever have a problem with this?

12 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 27, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Hi Elizabeth: No, I have never had a problem with using the BOGO coupons. As you can see from my transaction today I used a lot of them. The cashier today was even getting excited about how much money I was saving!

13 "Miss" Anita September 27, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I think this is just totally amazing! I wonder if every KMart doubles these kinds of coupons. Wow!

14 Lolo September 28, 2009 at 12:12 am

even if your cashier made you give her the coupons before the transactions (mine used to do that) you can still use the $5 off of $50 after. It will work as long as your original total was $50 or more. I always do that. Just tell them to scanit. tell them you did have a $50 total had she scanned it all and taken that coupon first. Just get her to scan it it will work. Now what I would do is take your coupon back to the customer service and ask them to refund you the coupon amount as you had $50 prior. I have succeeded in that avenue before as well.

15 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 28, 2009 at 4:17 am

Anon: Not every Kmart is participating. The problem with this doubles event is that even some that are participating may not have known they were because there is no ad for this event! Your best bet is to go to the store if you have one local to you and do a test run by getting one item you have a coupon for and seeing how it goes at the cash register.

Lolo: Good advice, thanks!

16 Brandie September 28, 2009 at 7:24 am
17 Janet September 28, 2009 at 12:57 pm

My cashier was shocked i was able to cut off almost $40 or so from my total! I'm hoping to get back later this week and stock up on some more cleaning supplies… I live with 4 roommates and the more I can get for less, the better! Since it's tough keeping an old house clean, and since I'm the only one who seems to make an effort to buy cleaning supplies anywhere but the dollar store. hah.

18 Shannon "Coupon Princess" September 28, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Fantastic! Great job… I wish I had a Kmart Close!

19 Christie September 28, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I find it very interesting that the registers at Lake Park are doing 2 free on BOGO coupons. I have shopped there for double coupon events in the past and that has never happened to me. I can tell you that BOGO Qs aren't doubling at other South Florida K-marts today since I was just at 2 different ones. Any light you can shed on this for me? Is it just certain BOGO Qs that double so that both items are free?

20 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 28, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Christie: if your BOGO coupon is for an item under $2.00 then it should be fine. A BOGO of an item over $2.00 (like the Tag BOGO coupon) won't double since the price of 1 is over $2.00. For me, the cashier would scan the coupon, then it would do 1 of 2 things. On some of them it would ask the cashier to select the 2 items purchased and then double the coupon. On others it would ask the cashier to manually enter the price of one and then double the coupon. I didn't have an issue during either trip this doubles event and I also did it last doubles event at the Fort Pierce store and the Lake Park store several times over.

21 Anonymous September 28, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I'm confused about the Kmart Doubles events. Do you need to spend $50 BEFORE they start doubling coupons? I'd love to go in and use coupons to buy one or two items, but I didn't think they would allow that…

22 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 29, 2009 at 4:20 am

Dear Anon: No, you don't have to spend $50 before coupons, I made sure to though so I could use the $5 off when you spend $50 coupon. The rules of the doubles event used to say you had to spend $25 before coupons but the registers just double everything right away so it's probably up to your store and even your cashier but since this doubles event wasn't publicized I think you could reasonably argue that there is no limit. Hope that helps.

23 Marcy October 6, 2009 at 10:28 am

Sure wish those type of deals existed here in CANADA!!.