Walgreens, 9/27-10/3

by Nicole on September 27, 2009

My friend Karen at Frugal RI Mama brings you the best of the Walgreens deals and coupon match-ups. I am going to highlight the best (IMHO) below but you’ll want to read her full post for the rest.

For information on how to shop wisely at Walgreens please read my Walgreens 101 post.

I had some expiring RR’s from the clearance deals I have been getting and wanted to use them today since the ad for this week is a pretty good one. I’ll post Karen’s highlights and then my transactions today below. As you can see there are a lot of FREE after RR deals!

Emergen-C Booster, On Sale $3.49

Gilette Fusion, On Sale $8.99
Get $6.00 RR
Use $4.00 cpn in 9-27-09 P&G insert
Final cost: FREE after RR

My transactions:

Transaction 1
Buy 1 Herbal Essences Conditioner, $2.99 (Get $2 RR)
Buy 1 Halls Refresh, $1 (Get $1 RR)
Buy 2 bags Hershey’s Kisses, $2.50 each (Get $1 RR when you buy 2)
Buy 1 small filler item (I bought $.59 item)

Use $1.00 off Herbal Essences coupon from 8/23 RP
Use $.50 off Halls coupon from October All You Magazine
Use 2 of the $1.00 off Hershey’s Kisses coupons from the 9/13 SS
Use a $3.00 RR

Pay just $3.64 and get back $4 in RR

Transaction 2
Buy 1 Halls Refresh Sugar Free, $1.00 (Get $1 RR)
Buy 1 Herbal Essences Shampoo, $2.99 (Get $2 RR)
Buy 2 small filler item (mine totaled to $1.00)

Use $1.00 off Herbal Essences coupon from 8/23 RP
Use $.75 off Halls coupon from the 9/27 SS
Use a $2 RR from previous week
Use the $1 RR from Hershey’s deal from Transaction 1

Pay just $.50 and get back $3 in RR

So in total, I spent just $4.14 out of pocket, got 9 items and have $6 in RR to use in the future.

1 Kelly September 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Did they accept the hershey kisses coupon with no problems? Since the ones on sale were a smaller size then the coupon stated they wouldn't take it, i ended up using them at Kmart

2 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 27, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Hi Kelly: I didn't even look at the sizes since I assumed the coupon and the sale matched up and there wouldn't be many different sizes of fall kisses. The coupon didn't beep at all and went through just fine. Hmmm. Did yours beep or did you have a cashier who scrutinized?

3 Anonymous September 27, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I bought my hershey kisses at Kmart after double coupon it was only $.50.

4 Anonymous September 27, 2009 at 8:28 pm

My Wags said we can no longer use RR on orders we are expectiong RR for. He tried to scan mine and it would not go. He said it is a recent policy change. Now have $50 of RR because none would roll. Not even on the St Ives deal which did not have RR. Help

5 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 28, 2009 at 4:15 am

Anonymous: As you can see from the transactions I did yesterday there has been no corporate policy change at Walgreens. I was able to even use 2 RR's on a transaction where I expected additional RR's! If I was you, I would call corporate and let them know what your store is telling you and how you don't believe this to be true. They will set the store straight. Keep me posted, please!

6 Erin September 28, 2009 at 5:56 am

I have had problems at my Walgreens as well. I try to do the transactions, but the register stops taking my coupons and they tell me I have exceeded the limit. This is even before they try the RR's. We have tried taking off the RR's first and the same thing happens. I never get to use all my coupons, and end up paying more than I should.

7 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 28, 2009 at 6:10 am

Hi Erin: Give me an example of a transaction that didn't work for you. At Walgreens you can only use the same number of coupons and RR that you have items. So if you are buying 2 items and you have coupons for both items you can't use any RR's. That's when you'd have to get a smaller filler item to be able to use your RR's. I have found Walgreens corporate office pretty helpful when I had issues. I would try calling them if your transactions are in compliance with their policy and still don't work.

8 Anonymous September 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm

I'm not Erin but am anonymous listed above. I tried to buy two thermacare for B1G1 50 off and use 2 of the $2 off any but it beeped and would not let me use 2. Cashier said it was because 2nd was free but I corrected her on that. I did contact corporate this morning about all the problems I dealt with this weekend and was told that I am allowed to use coupons and get RR and that I can use RR and get new RR so basically everything I was told at my store was incorrect. She said policies have not changed on this. I told her that the company is missing sales when we are harassed and not able to use our coupons or get our RR. She said they want us to use coupons and get RR and spend them. She said I would be contacted by district manager or store manager today or tomorrow. I only have one store in my town and it is a 30 min drive to the next one so I can't just leave one and go to the next. Haven't received a call back yet. I will keep you posted .

9 Anonymous September 29, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I've been having trouble using RR to get a new item that will print another RR. I called this morning and the customer service person that I spoke with told me that I cannot use a RR to buy and item that will print a RR. She said that using a RR will cancel out the new RR. :(

10 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 29, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Dear Anon: That is true if you are buying an item from the same manufacturer that gave you the RR. For example, if you get an RR for buying Colgate toothpaste the RR will say that is from Colgate-Palmolive. If you then try to use the RR on another Colgate-Palmolive product it won't generate an RR. I did the transactions in my post on Sunday and was able to pay with RR and get RR's just fine!

11 Anonymous September 29, 2009 at 8:25 pm

I'm back to let you know that I did not receive a call back from the district manager nor the store manager regarding my complaint to the corporate office yesterday. It is so strange that the person I talked to yesterday said I could use RR and get new ones for different companies. I'm not sure any of them know anything for sure. Nicole, should I call corporate office back to let her know no contact was made ?

12 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels September 30, 2009 at 4:12 am

Anon: I would give it until tomorrow afternoon and then call corporate back to let them know you never heard anyone and that this is par for the course with how you have been treated at that store when trying to use coupons. I'd bet you get a quick call after that.

13 Anonymous September 30, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Got a call today from the store manager . He was really nice but didn't seem to understand why there is a problem. He wants me to come in and he will go through my process of making my purchases and see what is happening. Hope that catalina machine works as badly as it did Sunday. It'll be my luck that everyone prints without a hitch- lol. I'll let you know

14 Brian October 1, 2009 at 6:29 am

I was told at Walgreens that if I use RR, I don't earn them. I noticed you use RR from transaction 1 on transaction 2 and still earn RR on 2nd transaction. Please help. Thanks, enjoy the site!

15 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels October 1, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Hi Brian: What you were told is not true! I am able to use RR's and generate RR's in the same transaction as you can see. I recommend speaking to your store manager and if the policy is still explained incorrectly, call corporate and let them know what you are being told.

16 Brian October 1, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for your help. I did speak to the store manager and was told only on cash transactions do RR print out. I will follow up with corporate. Thank you.

17 Anonymous October 2, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Hi! I'm back to report that I did meet with the store manager and he was very patient and helpful. We got various items that I had problems with and rang them in various combinations to find out what the problem was. We confirmed that if you use a RR for a company that is the same as the one you are expecting one from , it will not print. We used a different company's RR and new one did print. The problem I had with the 2 thermacare not allowing 2 coupons was a problem with the coupon system not being coded correctly to recognize it. He said the manager could and should override this type situation to correct this. Many times the cashiers just refuse us and don't call for management so that is the problem there. Also, the herbal essence would not scan a price so when the price was manually entered, it knocked out RR. Anytime a price is changed or modified ( for any reason) , it will kick out the RR and not print. So in other words, if the correct price doesn't scan and they correct it, it will not give the RR. He said when this happens, the manager needs to notify corporate so they can change price in the overall system. I had heard this before but had forgotten about this. we confirmed that more than one RR can be used as long as you have more items than man coupons and RR. So basically I already knew all this but he proved to me that it will work. Problem is that we know the rules but the cashiers don't. It sounds like some managers aren't as helpful as mine was but the rules we have been following are correct. Don't give up. If you are not dealing with a manager , insist on speaking to one and if you can't deal with stubborn managers, call corporate.

18 Nicole @ Nicole's Nickels October 2, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Anon: Thanks for sharing! I'm happy the manager was helpful and that you were able to iron everything out.