Help for Haiti

by Nicole on January 15, 2010

help

I have seen how the devastating earthquake in Haiti has touched the lives of those around me.  The area where I live has a large Haitian community and I have Haitian co-workers and clients who have lost loved ones.  My heart is so heavy for them and for the people of Haiti.  The scope of the tragedy is hard to grasp and I have felt the need to help and take action since I first heard about it minutes after it happened.

The blogging community is a large one with a collective sense of giving and responsibility.  Bloggers today are banding together to support Haiti in their critical time of need.  I am pledging to donate $2.00 for every blogger who links to a post describing what they personally did to help Haiti by the end of the day tomorrow, Saturday, January 16, 2010 (up to $250).

If you don’t have a blog, I will also donate $.25 for every comment left on this post by the end of the day tomorrow, Saturday, January 16, 2010 (up to $250).

I am choosing to donate to Missionary Flights International, a group based out of Fort Pierce, Florida (where I live) that flies every week to Haiti.  They have increased their flights in the wake of the tragedy and are looking for toiletries and light food (i.e. not canned) as well as money for the fuel costs.  One flight is 1,000 gallons of fuel at $5 per gallon.  If you live locally, you can take items and donations directly to the hangar at the St Lucie Airport in Fort Pierce.  There are also drop-off points throughout the Treasure Coast and Palm Beach County.  I would also recommend the Red Cross or Yele as organizations you could donate to.  If you don’t have money to donate, please consider donating items from your pantry or your closet.

1 Lori Riviere January 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for your efforts! I urge everyone to see if their company has a matching program for charitable contributions. My company does and so my contribution was double. I also organized a fundraising pizza party in my office. I bought the pizza ($5 little caesars) and invited everyone in the office to come and donate $5. We had 99% participation and most donated more than $5. We raised $500 and it is a small office of less than 20.

2 Herbert Utile January 15, 2010 at 6:48 pm

The recent destruction in Haiti has touched me in a special way. When I saw the story air for the first time my heart dropped because I couldn’t believe that this was happening to my country. Upon the learning of this horrible event in the country I wanted to do anything I could to help and I believe that this is a great way to do that. Also, I will be sure to pass this on to any and everyone. Pray for Haiti and may God Bless.

3 Hamlet Pericles January 15, 2010 at 7:33 pm

The country of Haiti has suffered a tremendous devastation. Thousands of lifeless bodies are pinned under buildings while others are in plain view in the streets, sadly waiting to get picked up and dumped into a mass grave (or even burned). More devastating is the fact that some of the maimed and injured will themselves perish due to the lack of quick aid from a surgeon and/or general aid. Families are crying, separated and are in agony as they search for lost loved ones who may never be found. This entire situation via such natural disaster is very sad — not to mention heartbreaking for a country that was already in dire need of aid and stability. Hopefully the best comes out of this horror and the country of Haiti recovers.

4 Leesa January 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm

This is such a fantastic thing that all of these bloggers are doing. Thank you! We will be donating directly to the Red Cross.

5 Theresa Humphrey January 16, 2010 at 11:22 am

Thank you Nichole for the opportunity to send my prayers to those who so badly need them.

6 Lane January 16, 2010 at 11:29 am

This is a nice thing for you to do. Thanks.

7 Emily January 16, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I donated my Swagbuck points to the cause and am commenting on generous blogs like yours. :)

8 Sue F. January 16, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I have given $50.00 to Operation Blessing and $100.00 to the Salvation Army. My husband is giving $100.00 to Samaritan’s Purse. God asks us to care for the poor and needy and blesses us in so many ways. My husband has been out of work since March, but God has blessed us in so many ways. One should not fear reaching out.

9 Angeline Utile January 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm

My heart is broken to see the images of the people in Haiti. I feel so powerless that I am unable to help them. I know that we are strong, hard working people and our nation will make it through this horrible time with prayer.

10 Gina January 16, 2010 at 4:24 pm

It is nice to see so many people involved with helping. Every little bit helps!

11 kelsey January 16, 2010 at 5:14 pm

thanks for helping out!

12 marie January 16, 2010 at 7:41 pm

thanks for helping
all my prayers go out to Hait

13 Kim January 16, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I think it is great what you are doing. My prayers go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

14 Kate Mattleman January 17, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I have donated to Jewish Federation in New Jersey and have volunteered to go to Haiti if needed to provide nursing care. My hope is that people do not go “back to life as usual” and forget how much the people of Haiti will continue to suffer. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Haiti, their friends and families.

15 CJ Davidson January 18, 2010 at 11:28 am

All prayers to Haiti. Good work here everybody!
Its nice that Americans finally notice one of the poorest countries on the planet only AFTER it is nearly obiterated.
CJ Davidson

16 Terah January 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Nicole, I just found your blog today through “The Frugal Map”. I am not only a fellow couponer, but my family is on Staff at Missionary Flights International. I was super excited to see that you donated your gifts through them! I just wanted to say Hi, Thank You, and God Bless You. :)

Terah