Nielsen Home Scan

by Nicole on January 15, 2010

Nielsen HomeScan is looking for new members.  I have blogged about this program before.  If they accept you, you’ll receive a handheld scanner and computer software.  You’ll be asked to scan all purchases each week and then upload them via the computer.  In exchange for your time, you’ll receive points that you can redeem for cash and prizes!

This is an easy program but it does take some time to scan the items.  Kids have a blast playing cashier though and this is a fun “job” for them to do! I was a member of the program for a while and enjoyed it.  My free time is largely spent blogging now and so I returned the scanner to give someone else a chance to participate.

They are looking for people in certain areas of the country and they will tell you if it’s your area after you provide them some basic information.  It’s worth a shot to see if they are looking for new people in your area!

1 Barb January 15, 2010 at 2:39 pm

If your adress in not one that can be validated through the internet, you cannot join. I live in a small town & get all my mail via PO Box, there is no home delivery. I keep asking to get my physical entered inso I can be “validated” online & it still hasn’t happened, so I miss out on alot of offers.

2 Crystal January 28, 2010 at 10:33 am

I really want to join homescan but every time I sign up for it, it says they’re not looking for homescanners. :( I’ve been trying for about a year.

3 nicolesnickels January 28, 2010 at 7:00 pm

It depends on your area. I was denied several times as well but kept on entering my info until I was finally accepted.

4 Melissa February 6, 2010 at 12:47 am

I would love to be part of homescan. I signed up and they said they would put me on a waitlist, and send me a scanner as soon as there was an open space.***crossing fingers***

5 Nicole February 16, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I liked it when I started but there is so much time involved in scanning. They want to know where you purchase gas, candy, toys, groceries, printer cartridges, paper, household goods, etc. You don’t always scan things either (gas can’t be scanned) you have to enter the info into the handheld. So, if you have the time it’s worth it.

I just don’t have the time to do all of this. Just FYI for anyone truly interested.

6 Valorie May 19, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I was on the waiting list for 9 months, this week I was notified that I will be receiving a scanner – I’ll let you know how that goes.