Where to Buy: McCormick Spices can be purchased at grocers nationwide
Description of Product: “The holidays are a season of sharing – sharing memories, sharing recipes and sharing the holiday spirit by making and giving homemade cookies. This year, the baking pros at McCormick are collaborating with Kim Ima, cookie-sharing expert and author of the new “The Treats Truck Baking Book,” to make sure flavorful cookies are at the top of everyone’s gift list. Kim and McCormick worked together to create three delicious new cookies for Christmas:
· Little Peppermint Crispy Rice Squares: A minty twist on a favorite recipe!
· Sugar Cookie Thumbprints with Spiced Jam Centers: While this sugar cookie recipe is great for rolling out and cutting into holiday-shaped cookies, it’s also a good dough for thumbprint cookies with jam centers – the perfect addition to any cookie platter!
· Nutty Oatmeal Ginger Cookie Sandwiches: A twist on the traditional, these sandwich cookies combine a crunchy, nutmeg-flavored oatmeal base with a smooth ginger buttercream filling for a holiday treat.
To capture the magic of holiday cookie-baking virtually, McCormick is helping holiday bakers share their own delicious gifts from the heart through “The Big Cookie Share,” at www.Facebook.com/McCormickSpice. Page visitors start with a signature cookie recipe from the McCormick Kitchens, and then customize it with flavor twists to suit the tastes of the giver or the receiver, like the addition of cranberries, nuts or almond extract. They’ll be rewarded with both a virtual e-cookie to share with Facebook friends – complete with a frosted holiday message – and the accompanying recipe to bake up a batch of holiday memories at home.”
Review of Product: I always reach for the McCormick spices for my spice needs, they are a trusted brand in my opinion! I had never tried peppermint extract in my own baking before until I got this prize package and tried to make the little peppermint crispy rice squares (recipe below). First of all, the recipe was simple and second of all, it tasted awesome! I loved the special holiday edition of one of our favorite treats!
The Treats Truck book is gorgeous to look at it and has a ton of really cool recipes to make. I bookmarked a few pages to try this weekend for my holiday baking, as a matter of fact!
Little Peppermint Crispy Rice Squares
Prep Time: 25 minutes
4 tablespoons butter
10 ounces mini marshmallows
6 cups crispy rice cereal
1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Peppermint Extract
1/3 cup white chocolate chips
3 coarsely crushed candy canes
1. Use 1 tablespoon of the butter to grease an 8×8-inch or 9×9-inch pan.
2. Melt the 3 tablespoons butter in a big pot over low heat. When the butter has melted enough to coat the bottom of the pot, add the marshmallows. Stir often until melted, then remove from the heat. Add peppermint extract and stir well.
3. Pour the rice cereal, white chocolate chips and 2 crushed candy canes into the pot and stir until the marshmallows and other ingredients are mixed together.
4. Use a bowl scraper or spatula to get the mixture into the greased pan. Pat into place. Use buttered hands or buttered spatula to press into the pan.
5. Garnish with 1 crushed candy cane to create a festive look.
6. Let mixture set for at least 15 minutes. Cut into five rows of five, and once removing from the pan, also slice the pieces to half the thickness to make little peppermint squares the ideal size for including in holiday cookie gift baskets or boxes.
Makes 50 servings.
Giveaway: The folks at McCormick have graciously decided to give one (1) lucky Nicole’s Nickels reader their own copy of The Treats Truck baking book as well as three (3) McCormick spices – ginger, cinnamon, and peppermint extract.
Enter using the Rafflecopter form below – you can only do each entry once! Giveaway ends at 12:01 am on Tuesday, December 20, 2011. For information on how to enter Rafflecopter Giveaways check out this post.
I received samples of the products reviewed in this post. My opinions remain my own.
Check out HOT Amazon deals on your favorite items!