I grew up with a pool in our backyard and remember my mother obsessing over pool safety. Even now, she feels uncomfortable when a child is too close to the pool. My mother fears drowning, I am sure she has never heard of pool drain issues being a big problem. I had never heard of it and that’s why I think it’s so important to get the Abbey’s Hope message out there to the public.
Abbey’s Hope was started by Abbey’s parents. Abbey was a little girl who was disemboweled by the drain in the pool at her home. She lived for 9 months after the accident and endured transplant and surgeries but was unable to pull through. Abbey’s parents promised her they would do everything they could to not let another child suffer the same injury.
Here are some important pool tips for parents, courtesy of Abbey’s Hope:
- Teach your children how to swim. We recommend having your child in swimming lessons by age 4. It is a life skill.
- Teach children how to tread water, float, and get out of the pool.
- For those who are not strong swimmers, coast guard-approved flotation devices should be required. Do not rely on “water wings” or other inflatable toys.
- Be aware that teaching your children to swim with a life jacket on will give them a false sense of security.
- Don’t rely on water wings or other inflatable toys. If your child can’t swim, stay within an arm’s reach.
- Take a class in First Aid and CPR (for infants, children, and adults).
- Teach children not to play with or around pool or hot tub drains and drain covers.
- If you see a drain cover that is loose, broken or missing, do not enter the pool and notify the owner/operator.
- Tie up long hair securely to protect from drain entanglement.
- Never take your eyes off of children in the pool — even for a moment!
- If you’re in a group, appoint a designated “water watcher,” taking turns with other adults.
- While supervising, stay alert and avoid distractions like reading or the telephone.
- Never dive in to water less than nine feet deep.
- Keep gates to the pool area latched.
- Look for lifesaving equipment by the pool.
So when you’re near a pool with kids please keep these tips in mind!
I did not receive any compensation for this post, I posted because I think this is an important message!
Check out HOT Amazon deals on your favorite items!