Join Oxfam America in supporting World Food Day on October 16. There are a lot of things you can do, like host a meal, share a recipe, and spread the word this World Food Day.
Oxfam America provides a few facts on the deep imbalances in our food system:
• Our planet produces enough food for everyone, yet nearly one billion of us (1 in every 7 people) still go to bed hungry.
• About a third of the food produced for our plates ends up lost or wasted between farm and fork.
• One pound of ground beef for your family uses more than 28,000 cups of water to produce—that’s enough to fill 20 bathtubs to the brim, and then some!
While this may seem overwhelming, there are many ways that we, as individuals, can make simple changes in the way we grow, cook, eat and store our food to be more sustainable. So, as a special way to celebrate World Food Day, we’re asking people to:
• Sign up to host a World Food Day dinner discussion. Oxfam has tons of free materials including a discussion guide, placemats, and recipe ideas from acclaimed chefs Jamie Oliver, Mary Sue Milliken, and others. Everything can be found at www.oxfamamerica.org/worldfoodday
• Share GROW method recipes on Pinterest and we’ll add them to our GROW Method Cook Book (http://pinterest.com/oxfamgrowmethod)! Just tag your pin with #GROWmethod to add it.
• Snap photos of your World Food Day meal on Instagram and tag them with #WFD2012, then check out our site (www.oxfamamerica.org/worldfoodday) to see photos from all over the world.
I read the much of the information on the Oxfam America site and it is very compelling and saddening. Too much food goes to waste and too many people are hungry. This seems like a problem that we would all want to fix and yet it continues. Our food production system is one that is broken, but we can all take at least some small steps to help repair it. Please join Oxfam America in this cause.
I am a part of the Global Team of 200 of the Mom Bloggers for Social Good. I do not receive monetary compensation for my posts, I receive emotional compensation and good karma for them! All opinions are my own.
Check out HOT Amazon deals on your favorite items!