I Have Leftover Halloween Candy…

by Pennie on November 1, 2012

And lots of it.  Hurricane Sandy sort of blew away Halloween here (no pun intended).  Even though I’m a couple of hours from the coast, we did get some rain and wind so the ground is wet and leaves are down, but more importantly we got some cold.  Unseasonable cold.  Unreasonable cold for the little guys to go out and have some fun, at least in my neighborhood.

I’m in one of those transitional areas, where families grew up 30 years ago and now there are a lot of older people occupying the homes.  Younger families have started to move in, but they are spread apart.   On my street, which is a cul-de-sac (perfect for young kids), there is just my grandson, the kids who recently moved in next door, and one group of older teens.  Hardly the gang of kids that I grew up with, who roamed the surrounding streets on Halloween night, using pillowcases for our haul!

Not every house gives out candy, and there are no sidewalks in my neighborhood, so trick-or-treating is limited anyway.  But this year was especially bad.  I was really bummed by the whole thing.  And now I have this:

Minus the the Mounds bar I just consumed (ok, and the Reese’s Cup I had earlier).  You can see where this is headed.  There is this huge bowl of candy that I like.  Sitting conveniently right here in my house.  Calling my name in a Siren’s seductive voice.  “Pennie, oh Pennie, come here, for something special!”  How can you fight something like that?

Should I throw it all out?  I can’t send it to school, the teacher would kill me!  Is there a place to reasonably donate leftover Halloween candy?  Maybe it should all go in the freezer to be doled out on a more reasonable schedule.  But Thanksgiving is on the way, and then Christmas, so there will be more sweets to deal with.  AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!  Maybe the ghosts and goblins of Halloween are really the leftover candy!

1 Stephanie Larison November 1, 2012 at 6:09 am

Eat it! Lol that’s what I would do anyway. My daughter didn’t get much at all for candy this year, which was a let down.

2 Debbie Welchert November 1, 2012 at 6:19 am

I would put in the freezer and maybe crush some and add it to your homemade cookies. We have plenty of candy too. But it’s such a treat around here it doesn’t last very long. I might try making some cookies with some of the candy too.

3 Teresa November 1, 2012 at 7:22 am

You could donate it to operation gratitude. If you look up their website, you can see if there is a dentist collecting near you. Donations go into care packages for those serving in the military. I just found out about it this year and my kids are going to donate some of their stash.

4 Betsy November 1, 2012 at 10:47 am

Operation Gratitude is a great plan!

And Debbie has a good point too, crush some and save it for an ice cream party, or to decorate a gingerbread house, or to put in brownies or cookies!! :)

5 Milian O November 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Freeze it eat later at your leisure.

6 Laurie November 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm

You could send it as a care package to the military. I just heard about it on the radio. Contact me if you need more info.

7 Brianna November 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Operation Gratitude is wonderful and I donate most of the leftover candy from Halloween through Christmas to them. But I take out a few to leave at the Senior Center as well.

8 Sue Hull November 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm

You could give it to the fire house. I’m sure they’d love it. When my daughter was younger I tried to buy candy I didn’t like. Now she’s an adult so I don’t buy candy anymore. I go to my sister’s and hand it out. That way I’m only nibbling a few instead of a bag.LOL!!
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone hit by Sandy.
Have A Great Day! :)

9 Gretchen November 1, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Kids are encourage to bring them to school and the school will be donating them to the troops…care package. Love the idea!

10 Rainey November 2, 2012 at 5:07 am

Here is the site for the address for operation gratitude