My Trip to Krispy Kreme – Day 2

by Nicole on January 28, 2013

Yesterday I told you all about Day 1 of my awesome trip to Krispy Kreme for their 2012 Blogger Summit at their headquarters in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  Today will be day 2! It was a short 2 day trip but we got a lot packed into those 2 days!

The day started early with breakfast at the lovely Graylyn Conference Center.  The food was really yummy and it was nice to have something savory in advance of the doughnut tasting we knew was coming!

Here is a fun infographic celebrating 75 years of Krispy Kreme!

The picture  below is Keri Lyn from She Saved and myself from Day 1 – I meant to include it in yesterday’s post but it didn’t make it.  I thought it was a cute picture!

As the bus left The Graylyn for the Krispy Kreme headquarters on Day 2, Keri Lyn snapped this shot of me.  Here you can see how pretty The Graylyn is!

We started off the day with a coffee and doughnut pairing.  This was a really great experience and here you can see the placemat that described each of the coffees – Krispy Kreme has 3 coffees, a house blend, a dark roast and a decaf.  I don’t drink much caffeine, if any, so I sipped the 2 with caffeine and drank some decaf.  We tried the coffees without any cream or sugar and it was suggested to try the doughnuts paired with the black coffee as well.

Here are my 3 coffee tastes:

And here are the doughnuts with the coffee.  We had another hot original glazed (yum!), a raspberry filled (a new favorite), a blueberry cake and a Kreme filled (double yum!).  The coffee was so good paired with the doughnut, even without any cream or sugar! There were unlimited doughnuts there – it was nice to be able to take small tastes from each kind…or not so small tastes, lol!

After the tasting we had a Q and A with the chefs which was fun.  we got to ask them all kinds of questions and tweeted their answers out.  That morning and early afternoon we got to meet folks from marketing, distribution and the international arenas.  Krispy Kreme is very popular in other countries such as Mexico and the Philippines and we got to hear about some of the delicious creations they come up with for other countries like Nutella doughnuts – how yummy does that sound? We also got to do a cocoa tasting which was super informative and very tasty! We had a delicious lunch and then got to make our own doughnuts and coffee beverages! This was fun and I made a creation with dulce de leche filling topped with white chocolate! I honestly couldn’t even take a bite of it though, I was so stuffed from all of the sweets I ate that day!

The weather was starting to get bad and so we headed to the airport a little early.  Luckily I got on an earlier flight to Atlanta which ended up leaving almost at the time my flight was supposed to leave.  I later found out that the flight I was supposed to be on was over 4 hours delayed and I would have missed my connection!

I arrived home really late that night but was so excited about the great trip I was on.  I learned so much about the Krispy Kreme brand and have such a positive vibe from the awesome people  met there.  The doughnuts were amazing and I had a great time!

Krispy Kreme sponsored my trip but I was not required to write about it. All opinions are my own.

1 Jane Ritz January 30, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I love your review on Krispy Kreme. My favorite is the custard filled. They are a staple in our town. Everyone loves Krispy Kreme and they look for that hot and ready sign.

2 Kate F. February 6, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I like the infographic you posted. I can’t believe they can produce so many doughnuts in an hour!

3 Sue Hull February 6, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Thanks for the pictures of all that yummyness,I’m sure that’s not a word.LOL! It looks beautiful where you stayed. How fun! I love Krispy Kreme donuts but being a type 2 diabetic I don’t eat them. They need to make ones made with Splenda,oh yum! It sounds like you guys had fun. I really like Keri Lyn.She is always so nice when I win stuff from her giveaways. Thanks for sharing your fun trip :)

4 Kim R February 20, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I agree with earlier posts the infographic really intrigued me. Thank for sharing about your trip! I have not had Krispy Kreme donuts in a long time, I should look up if there are any near me :-)

5 LennyG February 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Yum!

6 Lorayne Gothard February 25, 2013 at 5:21 pm

This is the coolest!!! My husband loves krispy kreme. I will have to take him!!

7 Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute March 9, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Nicole, this sounds like a dream trip to me. Krispy Kreme has been my favorite donut shope since I was a kid. I love seeing that red “Hot Donut” sign lit. There’s nothing else like them!!!

Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute

8 Julia Potvin March 19, 2013 at 10:25 am

What an awesome trip, yummy and fun can’t go wrong with that!

9 Daraya March 24, 2013 at 9:59 am

Mmm! I loved Krispie Kream as a kid! My favorite part was watching the donuts being made! So fun! :)

10 Blessie Nelson March 25, 2013 at 5:09 am

Wow! I am loving the Graveyln and your experience. How awesome! I wish to do the same someday!

11 Jerri Davis May 11, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I understand I have to go the the next town for crispy creme doughnuts. Thank you. Jerri Davis

12 Jerri Davis May 18, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Does look like a good time. Thank you. Jerri Davis

13 Maralea June 12, 2013 at 11:23 am

Wow! How fun this would be!

14 Shirley Carr July 11, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I could not resist all those donuts!

15 Judith Smith July 20, 2013 at 3:55 am

I worked in a donut shop as a teenager and got sick of them so I haven’t had many since. Your photos look so inviting to try again and I know that Krispy Kremes get all of the raves.

16 heather July 29, 2013 at 8:30 pm

This would be so much fun to tour I love that you shared this experience.

17 DG Middendorf August 12, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Good Grief! That sounds like a dream vacation!!! YUMMY

18 Jerri Davis September 29, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Wonderful doughnuts I am sure you had a great time ours is thirty minutes away. Thank you, Jerri Davis

19 Vanessa Wille November 30, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I love Krispy Kreme! There used to be one about 20 minutes from my home in San Antonio, but they closed up shop. I am still grieving. : (

20 Debbie Welchert December 6, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I like Krispy Kreme and didn’t know that they have three kinds of coffee. We don’t go there very often and it’s a treat when we do. I would love to go on a Krispy Kreme Trip and try their different donuts. It would be so much fun.

21 Deanna Middendorf July 13, 2014 at 3:03 am

This is a very interesting post. I love the Krispy Kreme Coffee. I wish we had the shops here but we have to travel 3 hours to get to one.

22 marnie ward September 26, 2014 at 2:57 am

I live in Rapid City, SD and there are no Krispy Kreme Doughnuts places here but I am from Virginia and I know how addicting they can be. There is nothing like the feeling you get when you are driving by Krispy Kreme and you see the sign, “Hot doughnuts now”. Every time I visit VA I make sure to visit Krispy Kreme at least once. Believe it or not, my Mother actually brought me a dozen doughnuts in her suitcase once for me. That’s love for both me and the doughnuts.

23 Marnie Ward December 21, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I love Krispy Kreme. I lived in Virginia most of my life and any time I had the urge or saw the sign, “hot donuts now” I could visit Krispy Kreme anytime, day or night. I moved to South Dakota and I couldn’t believe it, no Krispy Kreme’s here. Fear not, the last time my mother visited she brought me a dozen donuts in her suit case. That is true love..

24 Dorothy Teel January 3, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Reading about the trip to Krispy Kreme brought back a lot of memories, we used to live in Georgia and we would go to the Krispy Kreme plant early on Saturday mornings, during football season and as a fund raiser for our teams we would sell the donuts, hot, delicious and looked forward to all Saturdays, they went fast in Georgia on game day. We have some Krispy Kreme stores here but not on my side of town so it is not convenient, but their original glazed donuts are the bomb thank you for sharing this review

25 David Fultner January 3, 2015 at 8:38 pm

That is a lot of work for a tasty bite.

26 Tina Bredbury January 4, 2015 at 7:56 am

What a great time. Our family since I was a child has always been a fan of Krispy Kreme. My parents would take us to the place where we could watch them make them.

27 amy deeter January 20, 2015 at 1:48 pm

sounds like a wonderful trip there.i love krispy kreme.havent been there in a long time though.we don’t have one where we live.we are going on vacation next month to florida,so we plan on stopping there.i can’t wait .

28 Debbie Welchert February 14, 2015 at 10:42 am

It’s been so long since I have had a Krispy Kreme doughnut. They are so good and now I want one. Your trip sounded like a fun and tasty one. I would love to do something like that….

29 Sarah L February 22, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I’ve never been to Krispy Kreme. Sad to say. They didn’t have any here for a long time.

30 ger March 8, 2015 at 7:34 pm

I have never had a Krispy Kreme doughnut, I want one!!!

31 Natalie March 8, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I am dying to visit Krispy Kreme now!

32 s.w. March 9, 2015 at 8:38 pm

This is a nice place to tour with children to see how donuts are made.

33 Karen Propes March 23, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Funny, I grew up on Krispy Kreme donuts, but had never been to Winston Salem. We were coming home from a trip and my husband surprised me by stopping there on our way home. They just melt in your mouth. They found out it was my 1st trip and they just kept offering us more free donuts. So I know how you feel. It’s just amazing there. I didn’t know they had them in Tennessee. We were in Nashville and ate out and boom across the street was a Krispy Kreme that made me warm inside.

34 ger June 13, 2015 at 8:15 pm

I have always wanted to try Krispy Kreme, thanks for the review!

35 Richard Hicks July 13, 2015 at 8:42 pm

It is a great place with the best tasting donuts!

36 marnie ward July 19, 2015 at 6:18 pm

I grew up eating Krispy Kreme donuts. There is no other donut that even comes close to their taste. I am from Virginia and I could never pass up a Krispy Kreme donut shop when the sign was lite, Hot donuts Now. The donuts would just melt in you mouth. I live in Rapid City, South Dakota now and do not have access to the donuts but my Mother is kind enough to bring me a dozen every time she visits.

37 Melissa B. July 20, 2015 at 4:42 pm

I think it’s an awesome idea to allow samplings of different coffees and doughnuts. This would be a fun getaway for me and my husband.

38 Jerry Marquardt August 3, 2015 at 8:25 pm

This looks so good with a cup of nice coffee. A little sweet tooth for morning or for night.

39 Lisa Coomer Queen August 30, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I love Krispy Kreme. 2 of my uncles owned a few of them when I was growing up. I used to love to go to Tennesee to visit. It is quite an experience to see all that.

40 Sherri September 6, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I didn’t have any idea that they are based out of Winston salem. Those facts were really interesting!

41 Jennifer H. November 19, 2015 at 8:05 pm

We like Krisy Kreme donuts!

42 Jennifer H. December 10, 2015 at 9:48 pm

I think the display of how it works was cool!