Too Dependent on Things out of My Control!

by Pennie on January 31, 2013

I don’t know about you, but last week I had a serious disruption in my life.  A major internet/cable provider had a serious outage that affected many states and, I’m guessing, hundreds of thousands of people, including me.  It even affected my bank’s web site!

For 2 whole (long, frustrating, annoying) days I could not use my computer or watch tv.  Do you have any idea what it means to a tech person to not have internet access?  It sort of felt like having my right arm chopped off!  I no longer use things like physical maps or phonebooks, newspapers or reference books–I look up everything on the internet.  Recipes, medical references, crafting info, grandparenting info and just about everything else, all come from sites on the internet.  I socialize and, obviously, even work online!

So not having access to that sort of sent me over the edge.  And the way I wind down?  Well, I watch tv.  Except I couldn’t.  No cable – no tv.  And the design of the DVR/cable system wouldn’t even allow me to watch what I had already stored on the DVR!  How frustrating and annoying.  (And poor design, I might add!)  And on top of that, for 2 whole evenings, everything that I normally record on the DVR wasn’t recording.  AAARRRRRGGGGGG!

Thankfully, I still had my cell phone.  I wasn’t totally cut off from the outside world, but while there are many things I can do on my cell (get some email, play Angry Birds, look up stuff, etc.) there are many things I can’t…like work.

The whole thing was a very eye-opening experience for me.  How different would my life be if I never had access to these things again?  Would I go back to reading physical books?  Would I do more work around the house?  It’s unclear.  Since I was born (which, by the way, was a few years ago yesterday!) there has been such an advance in technology that I can’t imagine how people from even 100 years ago would cope with today’s world.

I watch a show called “Revolution” which is about a family (that) struggles to reunite in an American landscape where every single piece of technology – computers, planes, cars, phones, even lights – has mysteriously blacked out forever.  The show depicts how quickly society breaks down when people who are used to these things don’t have them anymore.  It’s kind of scary.  It makes me wonder if the next outage will cause me learn some prairie skills like cooking over an open fire or digging a well for water?

Well, just to be prepared, perhaps I’ll spend some time learning about them on the internet now!!!

1 Skirnir Hamilton January 31, 2013 at 8:04 pm

My family was affected too. For us it was internet and phone. Good thing we still had our cell phone on an unlimited plan, which we are probably ending soon. We have only been with Uverse for less than a month and so far our experience has not been good.

2 Lauralee Hensley January 31, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Good thing to have some survival skills should an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) cause problems over the United States like it once did in Canada. That EMP was caused by a solar flare, but EMP’s can also be caused by a nuclear bomb detonated either by the warring country over the United States, or by a nuclear bomb still high up in the atmosphere being struck by something launched by the US to strike it in the air. If that happens over US soil, or Mexican or even Canadian soil it could cause in some states an EMP effect. How long the effect could last depends on many factors. However one should plan for several weeks while anything using electricity or wiring could be effected and may have to be replaced with newly made products. That’s why you may read about Faraday cages, Faraday bags, Faraday boxes on the internet, as well as homemade type devices to try and save items from an EMP radiation type fallout. Also you’ll read about Iodine Tablets to protect your thyroid from absorbing the radiation that will fall to the ground over several days. So, even if a nuclear bomb doesn’t blow something up it can still cause problems if it is exploded high up in the atmosphere. The new North Korean President has put his country under military law right now and has told his military to be prepared for war. Since they are going to be testing yet another nuclear device, I think it is not unwise for countries around them to prepare for a possible EMP or nuclear attack. With solar flares expected to be high this year, will parts of the US have an experience like Canada did once in the past. Even back when there were12 telegraphs an EMP from a solar flare fried the wiring in many telegraphs and even caused some fires and small explosions in telegraph offices. Things can happen, we hope they don’t, but preparing is not a bad idea because you never know. It always seems when people say this or that can’t happen to me that it somehow does at some time or another.

3 sheri grennille January 31, 2013 at 9:21 pm

during superstorm sandy – we are nowhere near the coast, north of Philly in PA – we had many homes without power and people were huddled in their cars for warm and charging phones. we had no land phones, no power, data wasn’t working very well even on our phones, but we could text and use facebook to communicate. we found friends to stay with, house welcome to us and shared electricity from generators and ice from coolers. it was a community building hardship that will stay with me forever.

4 Sue Hull February 1, 2013 at 12:57 am

Wow! I didn’t have any internet for about a wk because there was some sort of outage. I did have my cell phone. I did ok without it but I’d rather have it. I still read regular books and don’t have a DVR so I just watch my shows when they’re on. I know it sucks though when you have nothing.It’s good to prepare for the times we lose power for whatever reason.Thanks for sharing :)

5 Susan Johnson February 6, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Long story as to why this happened, but I had turned my cable off because I would be leaving my home for two months and wanted to save some money. Well, three days after I left, I had to come back home due to a family emergency, and had to wait a week before travelling to the city everyone else was in, to stay for an unknown amount of time. I thought I was going to go nuts. The weather outside sucked, I had already had to pay extra to come home early, so I wasn’t going anywhere and spending money, so I was stuck at home with no TV. I never realized how much tv I watched and how addicted I was until it was not available!

6 Joyce Raymond February 25, 2013 at 10:12 pm

So many things have changed so drastically since I was young. I laugh at having to be on a “party line” in order to have a phone when I was a little girl, and now carrying a phone with me at all times. But some of these changes have me a little scared, because many people use them without caution. How many times a day do I see people talking and texting while driving? And I sometimes just wonder if we are smart enough for all of this technology