WhiteWave Foods, the Broomfield, Colo.-based company that makes TruMoo® Milk Boxes offers useful tips to help parents pack a smarter, more nutritious lunch box this school year. TruMoo Milk Boxes created a “Lunch Box 101” resource for parents to take the guesswork out of school lunch box packing. The list includes nutritious food choices as well as ideas to keep food fresh and appetizing for kids.
For parents on the go and on a budget, here are “Lunch Box 101 Tips & Tricks” from TruMoo Milk Boxes to help make lunchtime less stressful and more nutritious for their kids.
1. Instead of a juice drink pouch, opt for a flavored shelf-stable milk box, which provides all the benefits of milk including 8g of protein, Vitamins A and D, and calcium, without high fructose corn syrup or any artificial colors or flavors found in many juice drink pouches. TruMoo single serve milk boxes are a great option. They are available in three flavors kids will love – chocolate, vanilla and plain low-fat varieties, and are free of artificial colors and flavors.
2. Try to include at least one item from each of the five food groups: grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy and lean protein, to help ensure a balanced meal.
3. For a time-saver, sandwiches can be prepared the night before. Put sandwiches in reusable sandwich boxes instead of aluminum foil to prevent them from getting crushed or soggy.
4. Bite-sized fruits and vegetables are an easy way to add a nutritious and fun staple to lunch boxes. For picky eaters, a favorite dip like low-fat ranch, peanut butter or hummus can help make sure those fruits and veggies quickly disappear.
5. Choose leaner lunch meats like chicken, turkey, and tuna in water, or choose a hard-boiled egg, beans, or edamame as great protein alternatives. This way, kids can get protein with less fat and calories.
6. Keep cold food cold and hot food hot – keeping foods at safe temperatures will prevent the growth of unhealthy bacteria. Ice packs and insulated containers are key.
7. Instead of potato chips, try something different with the same amount of satisfying crunch such as: baby carrots, whole wheat pretzels without salt or baked sweet potato chips.
8. Liven up the lunchbox with fun-shaped sandwich and vegetable cutters. Lunchtime should be fun for kids, and they’ll be thrilled to find a butterfly- or dinosaur-shaped sandwich in their lunch.
9. Use leftovers, but change up the presentation by putting meat on whole wheat bread or pitas with sliced tomato or create a rice bowl with leftover veggies and protein.
10. Variety is key to keeping kids happy at lunchtime. Avoid boredom by offering new meal and snack options daily or weekly.
These are great tips for lunch for the kiddos for school this year! Noah loves to drink milk but doesn’t like to buy his lunch at school. With TruMoo milk boxes he gets to bring shelf stable milk from home to drink with his lunch – and he loves it! I love that he is getting the protein and nutrients from milk during the school day and I am sure the milk helps him feel fuller longer!
Enter the Giveaway!
You can win a TruMoo Lunchbox kit and coupons for TruMoo! Please enter the giveaway on the widget below. Email and feed subscribers will need to click over to my actual site to enter.
I received a sample to facilitate this post. All opinions remain my own.
Check out HOT Amazon deals on your favorite items!